Hildegard of Bingen



We are often fascinated by the middle ages and people whose contributions are still felt today.  One of these is Hildegard of Bingen. 

I hesitated to use this banner because it might give the connotation of a ‘new age’ philosophy, which is not at all what Hildegard of Bingen was when she lived over 1,000 years ago.  Often the labels that are used are a melting pot meant to convey something not necessarily accurate.  To me the word ‘mystic’ evokes the idea that someone is in tune with the Holy Spirit and that attuning allows for a vision beyond the ordinary.  Being ‘in tune’ is a constant undertaking requiring prayer, study, learning, listening and yes even teaching.

The label of ‘Psychic’ also may be misunderstood in the context of herbal medicine and essential oils.  The word ‘psychic’ evokes visions of palm readers, trance practitioners, tarot reading and the like.  But that is not the meaning here.  It’s rather that Hildegard displayed the ability to sense subtle whisperings.  Most of us experience this daily if we are tuned in enough to understand it.  for example how often has your phone rung and you just knew it was your Mom calling without looking at the caller ID or having a specific ring tone?   There has been too many examples of this in my own life to discount it. 

The other night I was making Joy Solid Perfume.  It called for Almond Oil which I didn’t have enough of so i substituted Coconut Oil.  The first 2 of 8 tablespoons I used fractionated (this just means it’s liquified and won’t become solid) and realized that it would take nearly all that I had.  I paused and just stopped and said a quick prayer - almost in an automatic way - and somehow I just knew to use solid coconut oil.  It would be melted together with beeswax anyway and would harden back up once mixed into containers.  

 I completed the small jars as the recipe called for.  But then I started a second batch so that I could make a large jar for my Mom.  I also wasn’t very pleased with just the Clary Sage and citrus Burst blend.  I really had no clue what to do.  I had already mixed the ingredients for a 1/2 pint jar and wasn’t about to waste it.  I again paused and said a quick prayer and just waited for inspiration - Lavender was the answer.  I added it knowing that I might ruin the recipe if I had gotten it wrong.  But it wasn’t wrong.  In fact it was the perfect constituent to bring out the complexity of the entire scent created.

Mother’s have a ‘psychic’ bond.  Most of us just know when our child is hurting.  There is a connection beyond the apparent.  Hildegard harnessed that ‘psychic’ whispering and left incredible folk medicines that have helped people through the ages.  Our bound as humans are strong with God if only we are attuned.  This is my interpretation of the word ‘Psychic’ used to describe Hildegard.

Hildegard was a cloistered nun.  It is said that she entered her enclosure at the age of 14.  Her life of service through the Catholic Church is profound.   She is noteworthy as a poet, composer, liturgical drama writer & producer.  Her numerous written works include theological, letters (400 of which survive), hymns, liturgy, and most important for our purposes works on botanicals and medicinal applications.

She was known as a Polymathes which simply means that she was deeply interested in a broad range of topics and mastered numerous disciplines.  Today she would likely be viewed as a great intellectual and her IQ would be enviable.  Polymathes also describes me.  All of my life I have grasped onto an experience or topic and fully explored it while expressing them through lectures, written works, creative renderings, etc…… 

Hildegard was born in 1098 of germanic parentage.  She lived to be 81 years old which in the Middle Ages was quite the accomplishment itself.  Likely her work with herbology, plant medicine and folk medicine contributed to her longevity.   She had truly mastered and shaped folk medicine to such a degree of success that she is known as the founder of germanic scientific natural history.  In 2012, although records indicate that she had been canonized hundreds of years ago, she was finally declared a ‘Doctor of the Church’ by Pope Benedict XVI.

There is a copious amount of her work still in publication today.  Of note is “Hildegard’s Healing Plants” which is from her original work Physica.  

   

Hildegard was one of those rare people that can readily see how one aspect of life is impacted by the sum of it’s parts.  Later in her life she really focused on healing with an emphasis of both plants, herbs and spiritual healing.

   

In 2023 we will explore some of her teachings as we focus on the sacredness of the gift of plants now expressed through essential oils keeping in mind that it is a part of the whole.  Please enjoy our journey together.  There is a facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Sacred.Oil.Infused.Life and a webpage that is published but very much a work in progress at   https://sacredoil.org/      






Comments